Aged care presents interesting challenges for consultants and stakeholders throughout the delivery and commissioning phases of projects. Our extensive experience on aged care projects has allowed us to develop skills and knowledge including, but not limited to:
- Assessing the structural drivers for categories that fall under the “Aged Care” umbrella such as Retirement Villages, Independent Living Units (ILUs), Residential Aged Care Facility (RACF), Senior Living and Palliative Care.
- “Easy access” features including minimising changes in floor levels, use of ramps and additional headroom and clearances for carparking spaces.
- Future-proofing structures to meet project principle requirements and accommodate additional storeys.
- Designing buildings to achieve State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) requirements for seniors (where applicable).
- Careful planning and staging of existing facilities for refurbishment works to minimise disruption to residents and allow uninterrupted operation of existing facilities.
- Working with the consultant team improving building insulation and roof insulation, lighting, HVAC efficiency, including solar energy with the use of roof solar panels to reduce substation requirements, and other energy efficient systems therefore reducing overall operating costs throughout the design life.
- Adapt to modern construction methods for construction efficiencies.
- Full BIM integration with design team.